Your recovery at home should take about a week. After you’ve recovered, be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions for follow up. Recovering at HomeTake it easy, but get back to your normal routine as much as possible.
Your Follow Up
- Take medications as prescribed.
- Keep the neck incision or the groin puncture site clean and dry.
- Avoid lifting anything over 10lbs. until your doctor informs you it’s okay to do so.
- Don’t drive until your doctor clears you to do so.
- Follow your doctor’s orders regarding shaving.
- If you had stenting, shower instead of taking tub baths for a few days.
Within a month after your procedure, you’ll have a follow-up exam, and may have some tests. These tests may include an ultrasound. You will be monitored on a regular basis, according to your doctor’s instructions. In rare cases, the carotid can narrow again. If this happens, it can often be treated again with balloon angioplasty.